About Building Performance and Comfort
"Structures should be comfortable, healthy, safe, efficient, and durable with low maintenance. We combine green building with building science to solve building performance problems and to work with you to create the green high performance home of the future now."
Douglas A. Garrett, CEM
Certifications and Training:
- Earned the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), residential and commercial energy conservation certifications, Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and Certified Demand Side Manager (CDSM)
- Certified as an Instructor by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) for Manual J (A/C and furnace equipment sizing), Manual D (air duct design), and Manual S (equipment selection)
- Certified by the Building Performance Institute (BPI) as a BPI Affiliate, instructor and test proctor for Building Performance Analyst Professional, Envelope/Shell Professional, and A/C and Heat Pump Professional certifications
- Certified in Duct Diagnostics and Repair by the Florida Solar Energy Center
- Certified in HVAC Air Balancing by the National Balancing Institute of NCI
- Completed numerous Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) courses and seminars sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the Department of Energy
- Extensive training in building science over the past thirty years from the best research and training facilities across the nation
- Owner of Texas' first building science consulting business (BPCI) for the last 17 years
- Presented hundreds of seminars on applied building science, energy efficiency, moisture management, energy codes, air conditioning, indoor air quality, and green building to audiences across the nation including RESNET, US DOE National Weatherization Training Conference, BPI, Affordable Comfort, PG&E, NYSERDA, TAB/NAHB, Oncor Energy, Dow Building Materials, Insulation Contractors Association of America National Conference, the Indoor Air Quality Association National Conference, and many more
- Forensic investigations diagnosing and solving hundreds of building performance problems in homes and commercial buildings using the most advanced testing protocols and equipment
- Primary trainer for the Texas State Energy Conservation Office and Texas Association of Builders training builders, contractors, building inspectors, and architects across the state on compliance with the state energy code (IECC 2000, 2003, 2009), and building science including water management, IAQ, HVAC efficiency, and mold avoidance.
- Five years with Austin Energy's Green Building Program- Responsible for building science, indoor air quality (IAQ), moisture management in construction, HVAC issues, and sustainability
- Nine years as founding division manager and primary building science and technical resource of Austin Energy's Residential, Small Commercial, Low-Income, and Multi-Family Energy Conservation Programs managing energy audits, technical and administrative standards, customer service and the loan and rebate programs.
- Served as a member of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology's "Task-force on Indoor Environmental Assessment" charged with developing a medical practice parameter for indoor air quality assessment to be used by physicians treating breathing difficulties.
- Served on the national Board of Directors of Affordable Comfort, Inc. for several years
- Member of the Texas Department of Health's Mold Policy Task-force
- Administered and wrote amendments to the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) for the City of Austin and wrote code amendments for other major cities. Reviewed energy code proposals for the U.S. Dept of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory's (PNNL) Codes and Standards Group
- Member of the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, Policy Advisory Committee for Low-Income Weatherization Assistance Programs for twenty years.
- Member of the Technical Advisory Committee of the Texas Institute for the Indoor Environment at the J.J Pickle Research Center of the Univ. of Texas at Austin.
- Member of the Texas Railroad Commission's Alternative Fuels Education and Research Advisory Committee for ten years.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board for Home Energy Magazine
Links to Related Web Sites